Bush Hill Park Primary School

020 8366 0521

Main Avenue, Enfield, EN1 1DS

Mrs Anna Theodosiou

SEN Information Report –

Bush Hill Park Primary School is a mainstream primary school with a nursery.

At Bush Hill Park we value the individuality of our children and provide them with every opportunity to reach their highest achievable standards. We take account of each pupil’s experiences and needs and provide a broad and balanced curriculum. We have high expectations of our pupils. We focus on their achievement, attitudes and well-being. We demonstrate due regard to the SEN Code of Practice 2014 and the Equalities Act 2010.

We promote the early identification of any additional needs by assessing and monitoring pupil progress, and by working in partnership with parents and external agencies.  Appropriate support is provided to overcome barriers to children’s learning through interventions, additional provision and from professional advice.

The four broad ‘areas of need’ are:

  1. Communication and Interaction
  2. Cognition and Learning
  3. Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  4. Sensory and Physical Needs.

How we identify a child has special educational needs

We have developed a whole school approach to SEN. This involves identifying individual needs as early as possible and working closely with parents.  Information leading to the identification of children's SEN may come from a number of sources.  These include:

  • For children entering nursery or reception we liaise with pre-schools, nurseries, external agencies, information provided by parents and pre-school transition meetings
  • For children entering Bush Hill Park within year we liaise closely with previous schools, parents and relevant external agencies
  • In school – observations of pupils, attainment levels (National Curriculum and/or P levels), Foundation Stage Profiles, reports from external agencies, reports from previous schools,termly pupil progress meetings, standardised screening and assessment tools

Staff and parents can raise concerns about a child with the Assistant Headteacher for Inclusion at any time.  Based on the school's observations, tracking of assessment data, progress after interventions and a discussion between the class teacher and Assistant Headteacher Inclusion, it will be decided what type of support is required to support the child to make progress and close the gap. This may include:

  • Quality First Teaching strategies and resources for support in class
  • Differentiated curriculum support strategies for SEN in class
  • Access to additional interventions for SEN

Parents are consulted with throughout the process and when needed a school based plan will be developed.

What are the different types of support available for my child?

a) Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

b) Specific group work

      Intervention which may be

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a TA

c) Specialist advice provided by outside agencies.

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo or Inclusion Manager and class teacher.  They have requested extra specialist advice from a professional outside the school. This may be from

  • Local Authority central services, such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS), Autism Outreach Team,  Behaviour Support Team or Visual/ Hearing impairment Services, Speech and Language Therapist (SALT)

What could happen?

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will assess your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

 d)  Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This has usually been provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

  • Your child will usually need specialist support in school from professionals outside the school. This may be from outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS), Autism Outreach Team,  Behaviour Support Team or Visual/ Hearing impairment Services, Speech and Language Therapist (SALT)

For your child this would mean

  • The school (or you) in partnership with parents can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the SEN Panel (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.   
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will coproduce with you, the school and any involved professionals an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHCP will outline additional funding the school will receive to support your child to make progress and narrow the gap between them and their peers. The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

How will I know that my child is making progress?

  • You will have a consultation meeting with their child’s class teacher twice a year. In addition to this written reports are sent home twice a year and if your child is on the SEN register you will be able to meet with a member of the Inclusion team termly. Your child’s progress is reviewed at least termly in pupil progress meetings and any concerns will be discussed with you immediately. You can request to meet the class teacher or Assistant Headteacher for Inclusion at any time. At these meetings your child’s attainment and progress will be discussed as well as any additional support in place for them.

How will we support your child when they are joining the school, leaving the school or moving on to their next class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:

  • The Assistant Headteacher for Inclusion will visit pre-schools with the Foundation Stage staff when appropriate.
  • If your child would be helped by a Transition Book to support them moving on, then one will be made for them.
  • Your child will be able to make extra visits to our school if this is appropriate.
  • We will contact the school SENCo and ensure that we know about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting with parents, the child (when appropriate) and any professionals involved, will take place
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on to us as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on from the old to the new class teacher in advance. School based plans will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a Transition Book to support them in moving on, then one will be made for them.

Transferring to Secondary School or another Primary School:

  • The Assistant Headteacher will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of the child’s secondary school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
  • If your child would be helped by a Transition book to support them in moving on, then one will be made for them.

How will we support your child’s emotional and social development?

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs may manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

All classes follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social, Health end Economic education) curriculum to support this development. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer:

  • Two full time Learning Mentors
  • Lunchtime and playtime support
  • Selected intervention programmes

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENCo will apply to the NHS counselling service Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHs)

What support does the school have for the parents of SEND children?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies may be used.

  • The Assistant Headteacher Inclusion and Asssitant SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child
  • Bush Hill Park has a full time Family Liaison Officer ( Sophie Smart) who is able to meet with you formally and informally to discuss any concerns and sign post you to any relevant services or support
  • We also hold regular coffee mornings and invite guest speakers in dependent on the needs of the group.